Five commissioners elected to the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
The African Union’s Executive Council elected 5 members to the African Commission at the AU Malabo Summit on 28 June 2011.
The new commissioners are:
- Ms Maya Sahli Fadel (Algeria), lecturer in Public International Law and Human Rights;
- Ms Alapini Reine-Gansou (Benin), former commissioner at the African Commission and lawyer;
- Mr Med Kaggwa (Uganda), lawyer and member of the Uganda Human Rights Commission;
- Mr Pacifique Manirakiza (Burundi), professor of international law;
- Ms Pansy Tlakula (South Africa), former commissioner at the African Commission, lawyer and current chief executive officer of the Independent Electoral Commission of South Africa.