Roundtable – Dakar, Senegal, 29 March 2011
(West African Focal Point)
On 29 March 2011, the African Court Coalition in partnership with the Rencontre Africaine des Droits de l’Homme (RADDHO) held a roundtable on the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights (African Court) in Dakar, Senegal. The following organisations were in attendance: The Dakar Bar association, The Ministry of Human Rights, The Judiciary of the Regional Court of Dakar, The Association of Young Lawyers of Senegal, The ICRC, The Senegalese Committee for Human Rights, The press, and Human rights organisations.
The participants made several recommendations and these include:
- Organise feedback sessions for lawyers because they are not supposed to monitor issues relating to human rights violations in the field and in international institutions;
- Post newsletters to members and interested persons to better educate people about the African Court;
- Increase efforts to encourage countries to ratify the Protocol establishing the African Court;
- Participate actively in the work of the African Commission given the large presence of NGOs;
- Advocate for the revision of texts in line to allow individuals to appeal to the Court;
- Build capacity among officials in order to understand the benefits of an African Court.